TCC Update Nov 5th, 2020 - What the TCC Has Been Working on During the Pandemic
Since mid-March, the TCC Board has still kept working, even with its doors closed, to try to keep our community’s spirits up and take care of our elders and those affected adversely by this pandemic in a variety of ways:
- We brought the Easter Bunny to you! The Easter Bunny drove all around Topanga to various sites to share the love.
- We still managed to have our Canyon Sages Easter/Passover Dinner, but instead of our Seniors coming to us, their meals were delivered to them in order to keep them safe.
- We brought a Mariachi Tierra Mia to various locations in Topanga to spread some Dos de Mayo joy during the quarantine.
- We organized a Red Cross Blood Drive to be held at the TCC in May and will have one again on December 10th.
- With the aid of a County Grant, we organized a meal program utilizing our local restaurants (to help keep them afloat) and distributed meals to 282 individuals in July and August, 3 days a week at the library.
- We started having drive-in movie nights so that our community could safely see a movie together! Next movie: Elf, December 4, 2020.
- We have recently started to allow members to rent the TCC playground, ballfield and grounds for pod playtimes and walks/hikes. You can reserve a spot here.
And we are working on ways to keep the holidays jolly, including planning another Holiday Meal for the Sages, catered by our very own, Kristina Levy Rocco, of Rocco’s Cucina. So please consider making a donation for the holiday meal.
The time to DONATE to the TCC is NOW. In 2020, we have seen a decline in our rental income to TCC programs by 79% and because we have not been able to have many events, our membership renewals have dropped significantly.
Also, because the volunteer board does not want the TCC to lose our awesome team, we have continued to pay our regular contractors throughout this pandemic, so our basic costs, including insurance, power, and property taxes, etc… have not changed.
As you know, we were unable to host Topanga Days, our annual fundraiser. In addition, nearly all of our events have been canceled or postponed, meaning our income for 2020 has not even met three months of normal income from past years. The good news is that the TCC is still financially stable and we are weathering the storm, but we would truly appreciate knowing our community is here to help lift us up with some SUPPORT!